Installation error on cent OS

Hey,

I’m trying to install memSql 6.8.7 on a machine with RAM of 72GB and 48 core CPU,

While deploying I’m getting the below error,

memsql-deploy will perform the following actions:
  · Install memsql-server 6.8.7 locally
  · Deploy a master aggregator on port 3306
  · Deploy a leaf node on port 3307

Would you like to continue? [y/N]: y
✓ Downloaded memsql-server 6.8.7  
The target user dbtesting on host 127.0.0.1 does not have the privileges to perform this action.  
Please enter your password to proceed with sudo.  (For details, see https://docs.memsql.com/toolbox-redir/sudo-prompt).
sudo password for dbtesting@127.0.0.1: 
Installing MemSQL locally...
✓ MemSQL 6.8.7 already installed               
✓ Deployed master aggregator on port 3306
✘ Failed to deploy leaf node
Starting rollback
✓ Installed MemSQL 6.8.7    
✓ Rollback succeeded
error running memsqlctl: error running command: `"/usr/bin/sudo" "-S" "-k" "--" "/bin/sh" "-c" "'printf' 'b2c6e726-f98a-43d4-8a42-aee91c535570' && 'exec' 'memsqlctl' '--json' '--yes' 'add-leaf' '--host' '127.0.0.1' '--port' '3307'"`: exit status 1
stderr: [sudo] password for dbtesting: Error 2359: Leaf node could not be added because you are using the MemSQL free license which has a limit of 4 license units and after adding the node you would be using 8 license units. To purchase more capacity, contact team@memsql.com. See https://docs.memsql.com/redir/capacity-limit-error for instructions on how to create a cluster with up to 4 license units.

I read about license units, and how memsql calculates license units count based on hardware,
but I just want to use 4 licence units and how could I achieve that?

Hi @jilani.m,

One MemSQL unit is 32gb RAM or 8 cores. Hence, keeping in mind that there is a 4 unit limit for free tier, you’re only allowed a maximum of 128gb RAM or 32 cores. Since your server has 48 cores, you’re not allowed to use a free tier license on it.

If you’d like to try out our enterprise version, please reach out to team@memsql.com.

I understood that using more core that 32 will fall into the enterprise version, but in our server, we will be using different databases for our project in the same server, so is there a way to specify MemSQL that only 10 cores to be utilized by it, so allow the free license.

BTW , my server is having 24 core, and each core with 2 threads so the logical core showing as 48.

Does this stops me from using the free license?

Yes - MemSQL license checks against the resources on the all hosts/servers. If your servers have more than allowed CPUs or RAM then the free tier license will fail. You will have to use smaller VMs that are in line with MemSQL’s free tier capacity.