Unable to Install MemSQL 6.8.5 on Ubuntu, Nodes Already Exist Yet Unable to Remove

Hi all,

I’ve had a series of unsuccessful attempts at installing MemSQL 6.8.5 on my Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS machine. The bottomline is I’m unable to fully install this software since MemSQL claims I already have nodes installed preventing an install. When I attempt to view the MemSQL nodes I have installed, MemSQL returns ‘no nodes found.’

Would anyone happen to have an idea how to resolve this issue?

Example:

prompt#: memsql-deploy cluster-in-a-box --license [license]

The target user user on host 127.0.0.1 does not have the privileges to perform this action.
Please enter your password to proceed with sudo. (For details, see SingleStore Tools Issues · SingleStore Documentation).
sudo password for user@127.0.0.1:
memsql-deploy will perform the following actions:
· Install memsql-server 6.8.5 locally
· Deploy a master aggregator on port 3306
· Deploy a leaf node on port 3307

Would you like to continue? [y/N]: y
✓ Downloaded memsql-server 6.8.5
Installing MemSQL locally…
✓ MemSQL 6.8.5 already installed
Starting rollback
✓ Installed MemSQL 6.8.5
✓ Rollback succeeded
MemSQL nodes already exist on this host. To view them, run ‘memsql-admin list-nodes’. To remove them, run ‘memsql-admin stop-node --all’ then ‘memsql-admin delete-node --all’

prompt#: memsql-admin list-nodes’

No nodes found

The cluster-in-a-box command is a bit too eager about cleanup and also clears the memsql-toolbox state file. Luckily, it’s easy to re-create so you can figure out what nodes exist:

1. Register the local host with memsql-toolbox:
    memsql-toolbox-config register-host --host 127.0.0.1 --localhost
  2. Install memsql-server (optional, since it looks like you already have it):
    memsql-deploy install --all
  3. List the nodes in the cluster to see what’s blocking the previous attempt:
    memsql-admin list-nodes

If you run into other issues, please add -vvv to the command (for maximum-verbosity output) to aid in debugging.

Actually, I went ahead and removed everything, then tried again with the steps found in the main MemSQL docs. The installation process is failing to “depoly the master aggregator on port 3306” with the below log:

The target user user on host 127.0.0.1 does not have the privileges to perform this action.
Please enter your password to proceed with sudo. (For details, see SingleStore Tools Issues · SingleStore Documentation).
sudo password for user@127.0.0.1:
memsql-deploy will perform the following actions:
· Install memsql-server 6.8.6 locally
· Deploy a master aggregator on port 3306
· Deploy a leaf node on port 3307

Would you like to continue? [y/N]: y
✓ Downloaded memsql-server 6.8.6
Installing MemSQL locally…
✓ MemSQL 6.8.6 already installed
✘ Failed to deploy master aggregator
Starting rollback
✓ Installed MemSQL 6.8.6
✓ Rollback succeeded
error running memsqlctl: error running command: "/usr/bin/sudo" "-S" "-k" "--" "/bin/sh" "-c" "'printf' 'ee1e00c0-3b1b-4289-91d6-5ff5b9859ede' && 'exec' 'memsqlctl' '--json' '--yes' 'create-node' '--port' '3306' '--secure-password' '' '--timeout' '60s'": exit status 1
stderr: [sudo] password for user: Latest errors from MemSQL tracelog:
55 2019-08-06 02:34:42.278 INFO: Log opened
: Failed to connect to MemSQL: Could not establish connection: Error 1045: Access denied for user ‘root’@‘localhost’ (using password: NO)

Hey all, I got this working. Apparently I had mysqld also using port 3306

Consider this closed