CREATE TABLE mf_model (
timestamp int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
model longblob NOT NULL,
/*!90618 SHARD / KEY timestamp (timestamp),
KEY timestamp_2 (timestamp) /
!90619 USING CLUSTERED COLUMNSTORE /
) /
!90621 AUTOSTATS_ENABLED=TRUE */

I’m using a simple python script to insert a longblob of 281 MB to this table. This is the python script:

import time
import pickle
import traceback
import pymysql.cursors

class DB:
def __init__(self, customer_id:str):
    self.customer_id = customer_id

def get_connection(self):
    return pymysql.connect(
        host="localhost",
        port=3306,
        user="root",
        password="<password>",
        database="model_" + self.customer_id)

def save_model(db:DB, model_bin:bytes):
try:
    connection = None
    connection = db.get_connection()
    with connection.cursor() as cursor:
        timestamp = int(time.time())
        cursor.execute("INSERT INTO mf_model (timestamp, model) VALUES (%s, %s)", (timestamp, model_bin))
        cursor.execute("DELETE FROM mf_model WHERE timestamp != %s", (timestamp,))
    connection.commit()
except Exception:
    traceback.print_exc()
finally:
    if connection != None:
        connection.close()
with open("./model.pickle", "rb") as f:
    model = pickle.load(f)

model_bin = pickle.dumps(model, pickle.HIGHEST_PROTOCOL)
save_model(DB("test"), model_bin)`

Smaller blobs around 50MB can be inserted successfully, but when it’s larger sometimes it is inserted and sometimes the python script ends up with this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "upload.py", line 24, in save_model
    cursor.execute("INSERT INTO mf_model (timestamp, model) VALUES (%s, %s)", (timestamp, model_bin))
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pymysql/cursors.py", line 170, in execute
    result = self._query(query)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pymysql/cursors.py", line 328, in _query
    conn.query(q)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pymysql/connections.py", line 516, in query
    self._affected_rows = self._read_query_result(unbuffered=unbuffered)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pymysql/connections.py", line 727, in _read_query_result
    result.read()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pymysql/connections.py", line 1066, in read
    first_packet = self.connection._read_packet()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pymysql/connections.py", line 683, in _read_packet
    packet.check_error()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pymysql/protocol.py", line 220, in check_error
    err.raise_mysql_exception(self._data)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pymysql/err.py", line 109, in raise_mysql_exception
    raise errorclass(errno, errval)
pymysql.err.InternalError: (1857, 'An error in this transaction required closing a connection to a leaf. The open transaction has rolled back. Run SHOW WARNINGS for more details.')

When I try SHOW WARNINGS there is nothing.
I can not find nothing useful about this error on the Internet.
I am using Memsql 6.7 and I can not upgrade right now.
There is nothing else in the master or leaf logs. I even tried the audit logs, but there is literally nothing about the insert.
I tried it on small test setup with 1 master and 1 leaf and I also tried it on cluster with 4 aggregators and 12 leafs and it’s exactly the same.

Please can you help me solve this? According to documentation it should insert 4GB blob just fine SingleStoreDB Cloud · SingleStore Documentation

Thank you for any hint!

The first thing is to find out if that large buffer made it through the protocol stack in python to memsql. My suspicion is that the api has a max default size.

I just looked at the docs for pymysql.cursors and found there is a “max_allowed_packet” (Cursor Objects — PyMySQL 0.7.2 documentation). That page says “Default value of max_allowed_packet is 1048576.” which is 1 meg. so 281 mb would be over it.

I am currently facing the same problem with exactly the same error message.

I’ve tried to increase the max_allowed_packet constant on the client side (Python) or to use a different sql client like PhpMyAdmin and Sequel Pro, but nothing helped.

Is there any server-side variable that is responsible for limiting the maximum size of the inserted blob?