Query to show blocking information

Hi ,

How can we check who is blocking who through memsql query?

Thanks,
Asrar

Hi Asrar

I am not quite sure I understand your question – what do you mean by who is blocking who?

Thanks!

Hi Jacky,

Just need the information related to query blocking.

Which query is getting blocked currently in the concurrent queries,
Which query is the culprit to cause blocking ,

Thanks!

Asrar

To see the state of queries (i.e. executing/queued etc), run

select * from information_schema.processlist;

The STATE column will specify the state of the queries.

E.g.

memsql> select id, user, command, state, info from information_schema.processlist;
+-----+-------------+---------+-----------+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| id  | user        | command | state     | info                                                                      |
+-----+-------------+---------+-----------+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| 134 | root        | Query   | queued    | select "This query gets queued", sleep(1000000)                           |
| 110 | root        | Query   | executing | select "This query runs", sleep(1000000)                                  |
|  23 | root        | Query   | executing | select id, user, command, state, info from information_schema.processlist |
|  21 | distributed | Sleep   |           | NULL                                                                      |

To understand which query is causing other queries to get queued, can you send the output of following queries (when your system is in a state where queries are queued):
SHOW WORKLOAD MANAGEMENT STATUS;
select pc.plan_id, pc.optimizer_notes, pl.info from information_schema.plancache as pc join information_schema.processlist as pl on pl.plan_id = pc.plan_id;

Are you using resource pools? (I am assuming you are not).

I realize this is an older 2019 thread, but the question still stands. its genuine.

memSQL does not provide “who is blocking whom” as say what other DBMSs provide e.g. sp_who of sqlserver or SAP/ASE. its very valuable for DBAs to track the lead offender in a blocking nightmare…

and we are not talking about workload mgmt. and resource-pools used here. my vote is : augment the “processlist” to add the blocker column. case closed.

MemSQL 7.1 will have some improvements here.

• A new info schema view that shows queries blocking on locks (and who is holding those locks)
  • rowlock timeout errors will show which query was holding the rowlock or metadata lock
  • processlist will show which queries are holding a row lock or metadata lock that is blocking a query from making progress

And MemSQL 7.1 ships at the end of April 2020. Stay tuned.

Outstanding! a very desirable feature given doing production support when ‘all hell breaks loose’ with locking nightmares can now simply be resolved. I am also hoping memsql studio and historical monitoring can record some tell-tale signs of locking entanglement (just so that appdev can plan a better data model)( I equate this what 23andme would do to tell me my DNA blueprint and subsequent mutation would cause me to have some problem down the road). you guys are fantastic!