About MemSQL License Policy

Hi.
I have questions about MemSQL license policy.

1. I want to know your team would like to reflect again something like previous license calculation? Actually, Before 7.0 version I could allocate amount of resource what i want to give to leaf nodes and calculate it. It was reasonable!

2. If I’m going to calculate license from RAM-based, which situation is right case?
    ( Each 10 leaf has vCPU 4 cores and RAM 40GB.)

(1) (40GB / 32) X 10 = (2 units) X 10 = 20 units
  (2) (40GB X 10) / 32 = 12.5 -> 13 units

Thank you!

The license policy is to calculate the total RAM on the leaf nodes in the cluster so using the above example the total RAM on the leaf nodes is 400GB and that divided by 32GB per unit is 12.5 rounded up to 13.

Hi,

Only one host: “24vCPU / 96GB memory”

When 2 leaf nodes were installed on this host, it was identified as a total of 6 units .
Is that correct?

Thank you in advance

That should only be 3 units. Did you run optimize and configure NUMA on this host?

Hi deloy,

Sorry for being late.

Regardless of NUMA, the result of ‘lscpu’ is ‘CPU: 24’.
That is, the total number of vCPUs on a host cannot exceed 24.

There was no problem with one leaf node.
However, there was a warning that 6 units were needed when adding a second leaf node. '(memsql-admin add-leaf…)

I think we need to patch it if we have to follow the policy you said.
(Note, we installed the latest memsql-toolbox around April 10th.)

Thank you.

Yes - in this configuration the license management for leaf nodes is double counting. But this leads to the question - why are you putting 2 leaf nodes on the same host without NUMA? Just deploy with a single leaf on a single host.

1 Like