MemSQL’s breakthrough new SingleStore™ data management, enhanced system of record capabilities, time series enhancements, and more, are now available instantly and on demand with MemSQL Helios. You can try MemSQL 7.0 and Helios for free, instantly.
MemSQL is proud to announce the general availability of MemSQL 7.0, available first on MemSQL Helios, the company’s elastic cloud database available on public cloud providers around the globe. Fully managed and available on demand, MemSQL Helios delivers instant, effortless access to the world’s fastest, most scalable data platform for operational analytics, machine learning and AI. MemSQL 7.0 delivers new, fast resilience features; the first iteration of MemSQL SingleStore, delivering table type convergence; new time series features; and other new features, described below.
With the public availability of MemSQL 7.0 — available now on MemSQL Helios and for download on December 10th— MemSQL further cements itself as a powerful fit for a company’s innovative and most critical operational workloads. MemSQL Helios delivers enhanced ease of use and reduced management complexity, lower total cost of ownership (TCO) compared to both on-premises and cloud provider offerings, and the flexibility to run your data workloads in multiple cloud providers and hybrid deployments.
What’s New in MemSQL 7.0
We previously described two key sets of features in MemSQL 7.0:
- Resilience features. Resilience features allow database content to survive server and software failures. Resilience features in MemSQL 7.0 include much faster synchronous replication and synchronous durability, and incremental backup, which captures only recently changed data.
- MemSQL SingleStore features. MemSQL SingleStore will eventually see data stored in a single table type whose size is not limited by the available memory, yet still provides the highest level of performance for both transactional and analytical operations. MemSQL 7.0 features include rowstore table data compression and fast seeks in columnstore tables.
MemSQL 7.0 also includes a wide range of additional features. Highlights include:
- Improvements in MemSQL Studio. MemSQL Studio features available now include logical monitoring of nodes; physical monitoring of cluster resource usage; the ability to find, understand, and kill long-running queries; and the ability to separate out SQL Editor results into tabs, then export them into a CSV file for analysis.
- Improvements in MemSQL Tools. MemSQL tools enable installation and control of self-managed MemSQL clusters, on-premises and in the cloud. MemSQL Tools include an improved cluster setup utility and easier migration from the original MemSQL Ops to the new tools. Tools also perform upgrades from MemSQL 6.7 and MemSQL 6.8 to MemSQL 7.0.
- Automatic gathering of MemSQL statistics. All types of statistics, including range and cardinality, are now automatically gathered, on all types of tables. This is a big ease-of-use improvement and dovetails with the benefits of MemSQL Helios and the move to MemSQL SingleStore.
- Time Series functions. MemSQL 7.0 includes the new FIRST, LAST, and TIME_BUCKET functions, and the ability to designate a SERIES TIMESTAMP column in metadata, greatly simplifying code for time series processing with MemSQL.
- Additional improvements. These include improvements to query execution, query optimization, data storage, data loading, and data backup, as well as cross-database views.
MemSQL Helios and MemSQL 7.0 continue to include robust free options. MemSQL Helios has a free 8-hour trial; the self-managed MemSQL software can be used indefinitely for free, within limits on the number of nodes used, and with community support only.
Benefits of MemSQL Helios
With the initial release of MemSQL 7.0 occurring through MemSQL Helios, on AWS and other cloud platforms, the combined advantages of MemSQL Helios and MemSQL 7.0 become available on AWS.
MemSQL Helios advantages include:
- Effortless deployment and elastic scale. With MemSQL Helios, you get the full capabilities of one-click deployment and easy cloud scalability. Users skip all the initial stages that are usually required for database availability: hardware procurement; racking servers; operating system and libraries installation and testing; database software deployment and configuration; and management of VMs or containers and their uptime. With MemSQL Helios, customers simply choose the number of nodes they wish. Helios starts them up and keeps them running. It handles data backup and restore, and managing and maintaining the software, using the cloud-native MemSQL Kubernetes Operator and the MemSQL Kubernetes stack.
- Enhanced ease of use and reduced TCO. Automatic setup and automated resizing of MemSQL clusters greatly increases ease of use for customers. (Resizing is handled on request, and will be further automated in future versions of MemSQL Helios.) In Helios, MemSQL handles much of the work, and many of the issues, that were formerly left to customer DevOps staff – either alone, or in cooperation with MemSQL Support. Staff are freed up as MemSQL Helios helps eliminate tedious, time-consuming tasks. As a cloud resource, MemSQL Helios ensures that the organization pays only for what it needs. (These aspects of MemSQL Helios are greatly enhanced by the new features in MemSQL 7.0, below.)
- Greatly increased flexibility. MemSQL combines the capabilities of OLTP databases and online analytical processing (OLAP) databases into a single database. The same database manages streaming data on ingest and processing, and replaces complex extract, transform, and load (ETL) processes with MemSQL Pipelines. It also supports both high concurrency of query volume and high query complexity. This eliminates data sprawl – the need for multiple copies of the same data – and reduced the number of data tools you need to support a given application. You get less complexity and up-to-date data for your applications.
A converged database, managed by MemSQL as the provider, with SQL support and full scalability – that is, MemSQL Helios, powered by MemSQL 7.0 – offers a breakthrough capability to power rapid growth for organizations large and small.